The September 2011 Friend magazine had this cute story about a family that played “Scripture Quotes,” and I thought it would make a great Family Home Evening lesson/game for our family. The gist of the game is that someone thinks of a quotation of something that someone said in the scriptures and everyone else must guess who said it. Examples: “Let my people go” (Moses) and “This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him” (Heavenly Father to Joseph Smith). Of course, it gives one ample opportunity to discuss the stories themselves.
I gave it some thought and decided it might be wise to forestall any cries of “I can’t think of anything” (including from myself) by setting it up the following way. I divided our family into two teams with a parent on each team. Each team had some time to themselves to browse a children’s scripture stories book for quotes to use and wrote them on a piece of paper.
Fortunately, I had this book (Scripture Stories 31120, published in 1980) that had plenty of speech quotations in it (though they weren’t always word perfect quotes); unfortunately, the newer children’s scripture picture books from Church Distribution do not have any quotations in them. I suppose you could use the newer books to remind yourself of a story with speech in it, and then go to the scriptures to find a quotation.
This inconvenience reminds me that while reading the children’s scripture picture books have their place, eventually we need to work toward reading directly from the scriptures to our children and with our children.
Anyway, for those who would appreciate it, I posted the list of quotes we used in our game last night.
Your comments are welcome below. Click on “Comments” to enter one.
- “Peace, be still”
- “Behold, he is feeding thy horses”
- “Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood”
- “Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.”
- “I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.”
- “What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times”
- “Thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head”
- “Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?”
- “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”
- “Sun, stand thou still”
- “Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.”
- “I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?”
- Jesus (Mark 4:39)
- King Lamoni’s servants (Alma 18:9)
- The Premortal Christ (Ether 3:9)
- Goliath (1 Samuel 17:44)
- Moses (Exodus 4:10. By the way, it was Enoch that said, “all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?” Moses 6:31)
- Baalam’s ass or donkey (Numbers 22:28)
- Angel in the story of Samson (Judges 13:5)
- Martha (Luke 10:40)
- Jesus (Luke 23:34)
- Joshua (Joshua 10:12)
- Angel Gabriel (Luke 1:28)
- Cain (Genesis 4:9)